Thursday, May 27, 2010

Top 3 Thursday - Games

I must apologize to my faithful readers (pause for laughter), I was on vacation last week and the last thing on my mind was my blog. Actually, it was work, but you get my drift. Thus, I did not participate in last week's Top 3 Thursday. However, I'm not necessarily qualified to discuss apps for smartphones considering I've never owned one. Either way, this blog is still in its infancy, so I'm going to go ahead and make sure I try and update more often. Work has been crazy with the short weeks coming up, so they've had us on long shifts, but I digress.

Let's get to it. Top 3 Thursday topic this week is "Games". Whether it be board games, video games, outdoor games, etc. This should be interesting.

Monopoly You just can't beat a good old-fashioned game of Monopoly. This is the only game I know of outside of sports that takes hours upon hours to decide a winner. Also, this game has inspired numerous phrases that are used in every day conversation with perhaps the most common being "Get out of jail free card". If you're ever looking for something to do with 3-4 people, Monopoly is always a solid bet. Grab a 6-pack, divvy up the money, and roll the dice. It's never a bad choice.

Texas Hold 'Em While not necessarily a "sport", this is on ESPN, therefore I did not include it in the thought process of "games that aren't sports that take hours to decide a winner". Who doesn't like poker? I mean, really. Especially if you're of the male gender, you should at least know how to play one hand in Texas Hold 'Em. I've gotten better adrenaline rushes from this game that I have gotten from playing live music. There is something about having money on the line that makes this game outstanding in my opinion.

Rockband You knew it was coming. Don't like to yourself. How can you sit there and think that I, someone that has played drums since he was nine, could not like the game of Rockband. It basically puts you in the shoes of rock stars. There is skill involved, but at the same time, it can make someone that has never been able to play an instrument feel like they're Slash from Guns 'n Roses or Neal Peart from Rush. Whomever decided the "rhythm game" phenomenon should start now is a genius. Our generation has generally been shown that rock stars have the greatest life of all, and who wouldn't want to be a part of that? I must also, from a musician standpoint, applaud the creators of this game. The general accuracy in it is, top to bottom, excellent. I think this will be one of those games like "Mario Kart", "Mario Brothers", and "Sonic the Hedgehog" that will be a cult classic for decades.

There you have it. My 3 favorite games. Quite a diversified list, surprisingly. Look for another update sometime over the weekend. I have some frustration to vent. Til then...

Much love
~B

No comments:

Post a Comment